Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Bill Smith

Considering I will repeat most of my grievances from last year, Bill Smith seems the perfect opening target. I believe in the "addition by subtraction" theory to building a baseball team. It's not about who you get in the off-season, but who you get rid of. Last year, he failed to remove Nick Punto from the Twins roster. Then every day thereafter, he decided not to designate the infielder for assignment or buy out his contract. Think about it. In the scope of the Twins payroll, $4 million a year to keep him from trying to score from second on a grounder to short is a pretty good use of money. A few players will be gone, but can you really credit the GM for Bonser? He hurt himself last year, so it's no different. Who else is gone? I'm not even sure. But why should we expect a mediocre roster from 2009 to do anything other than win 86 games in 2010? The Twins Propaganda Machine will try the "more experienced" argument. Didn't they try that last season? If more faces change among the minor role players change, it's much easier as a fan to delude myself that this year they might have a chance. Bring in a Butch Huskey or Jeff Cirillo. I just need a few more players that I don't hate yet. That shortstop we got from the Brewers doesn't quite satisfy that.

No comments:

Post a Comment